Thursday, April 30, 2009

For Judy...

For Judy...
     I lost a friend, sister and sort- of- mother this week.  I had known her for 45 years or so.
She taught me how  to hold, feed and bathe a baby.  She helped me let go of my first child when I needed to let him explore the world...she never complained, criticized or found fault with anyone.
     I felt better about myself and the world every time I was around her- a hallmark of a true friend.  When my brother died, she came and sat with me.
     We didn't see each other often in later years but when we did, we took up where the last conversation left off, without missing a beat.  
     The last time I saw her was when she came to my house a couple of weeks ago to have lunch with two ladies who knew Jeanette well- and one of them a nurse!  She made friends with them instantly and poured over old photos and talked and talked and talked.  We looked at her yearbooks from high school.  And for a few hours, she was young, beautiful and healthy. 
She was home again. 
     She never lost the beauty- it revealed itself in everything she did and said.
     Her spirit lives on in the wonderful family she had and nurtured and was so very, very proud of.
     Please... someone feeds her birds for awhile?
     

No comments: